Exalted: The Third Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Character Histories?

Go down

No Character Histories? Empty No Character Histories?

Post  The Storyteller Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Okay, we're only two games in, but there isn't a single character history on the forum. As someone who likes to run character-driven stories as opposed to plot-driven games, backstory is important to me. Sure, you can jump into any adventure I set in front of you, but why does your character want to embark on the journey? What makes him want to trust these people and not those people? These are important questions that can be illustrated through a character's history.

As the game progresses, you'll be making judgment calls that will affect what your character's impact on the world is, and how the world views that character as time passes. Some people like to discover that as they go, and that's fine. But as you develop a better sense of what roads your character has walked before, even if only in broad strokes, you can set that vision down here to help build future plot points.

The first couple stories are already planned out in advance, but knowing a character's history will help tie those elements into their Motivations or Intimacies, giving the character (and the player) a greater stake in how the story unfolds. And beyond the second story, I'll be going directly off the choices made in those previous game sessions to plot the rest of the chronicle. The sooner I have character histories, the sooner I'll be able to tie all those elements together into the game's narrative!
The Storyteller
The Storyteller
Admin

http://exalted3rd.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down